Mets at Dodgers, 7:10 PM PDT, TV: MLBN (out-of-market only), SNY, SPNLA
LHP David Peterson (2-0, 3.03 ERA) pitches for the Mets and RHP Walker Buehler (6-1, 3.22 ERA) goes for the Dodgers. Peterson lost the last half of the 2021 season to a broken toe which needed surgery. Buehler has not yet rounded into his usual form, good win-loss record or no.
This day in Dodgers’ history:
- 1957 At a seventy-five minute show-down meeting at City Hall with Walter O’Malley and Horace Stoneham, the club presidents of the Dodgers and Giants, respectively, Mayor Robert Wagner is told by the owners neither club has a commitment to move out of New York – and none to stay in the Big Apple. The teams, who have been given permission by the National League to explore the possibility of moving their franchises to the West Coast, are assured by His Honor that the city will be of assistance in replacing the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field, the aging ballparks the clubs call home.
- 1964 At Connie Mack Stadium, Sandy Koufax throws his third no-hitter in three years, blanking the Phillies 3-0. The Dodgers’ southpaw, who will add a perfect game to his resumé next season, joins Bob Feller as the only other modern major leaguer to pitch three career hitless games.
- 1968 Don Drysdale, pitching his sixth consecutive shutout, defeats the Pirates, 5-0. The Dodger right-hander will extend his major league record scoreless streak to 58.2 innings before yielding a run in his next start. Later that evening at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, Robert Kennedy, giving his victory speech for his win in the California primary before being fatally shot, tells his followers in the packed ballroom, “I’d like to express my high regard to Don Drysdale, who pitched his sixth straight shutout tonight.”
- 1972 The Dodgers retire Roy Campanella’s uniform number 39. Campy, who won the MVP three times catching for Brooklyn in the fifties, joins Jackie Robinson (42) and Sandy Koufax (32) to be honored in this manner.
- 1976 In an 11-0 victory at Dodger Stadium, Mets right fielder Dave Kingman hits three home runs. Sky King’s two-run dinger and two three-run round trippers drive in eight runs, a new club record.
- 1990 En route to a 6-0 complete-game victory, 22 year-old Dodger right-hander Ramon Martinez limits Atlanta to three hits. Pedro’s older brother, who will finish the season with a 20-6 record, strikes out 18 batters during the contest.
- 1998 The Dodgers trade the 1995 National League Rookie of the Year Hideo Nomo (2-7 with a 5.05 ERA) and reliever Brad Clontz to the Mets for pitchers Dave Mlicki and Greg McMichael.
Lineups when available.
Tonight’s starters. #LGM
🆚: Los Angeles (NL)
📍: Dodger Stadium
🕕: 10:10 p.m.
📺: @SNYtv, @MLBNetwork (out-of-market only)
🔗: https://t.co/YwxndOfjuE pic.twitter.com/BPzH6buHJT
— New York Mets (@Mets) June 4, 2022
Tonight’s #Dodgers lineup vs. Mets: pic.twitter.com/jFNLhham9s
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) June 4, 2022