Dodgers at Giants, 6:45 PM PDT, TV: NBCS BA, SPNLA
LHP Andrew Heaney (1-0, 0.47 ERA) makes his fifth start of the season, his second after coming off an extended stay on the IL. His first was last Wednesday; he went 4 scoreless innings, gave up just one hit and struck out four while walking three. He’ll face RHP Logan WEbb (9-4, 2.91 ERA), who went 2-2 in July with a 2.58 ERA but lost his last start to the D-Backs, giving up four runs on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings.
Turn your speakers up, there is pure joy in this voice.
POV: You're @james_outman's fiancée recording his first MLB homer in the stands. pic.twitter.com/FFNL9YVH2v
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) July 31, 2022
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1906 After pitching 10 2/3 innings of no-hit ball, Harry McIntire yields a single to Pirates second baseman Claude Ritchey. The Dodgers and McIntire lose the game in the 13th on an unearned run, 1-0.
- 1924 Dazzy Vance strikes out seven consecutive batters to establish a major league record when the Brooklyn Robins defeat the Cubs at Ebbets Field, 4-0. The future Hall of Famer, who will compile a 28-6 record for the Brooks this season, will lead the National League in strikeouts with 262.
- 1957 Gil Hodges, in a 12-3 win over the Cubs, hits his 13th and last career grand slam in Brooklyn Dodger history. The first baseman’s bases-loaded shot off Dick Littlefield establishes a new National League record, previously shared by Rogers Hornsby and Ralph Kiner.
- 2011 After popping out in a pinch-hitting appearance, Craig Counsell remains without a hit in his last 45 at-bats, tying the longest single-season hitless streak by a position player in history, established by Brooklyn backstop Bill Bergen in 1909. The major league record is 0-for-70, established in 1970 by Bob Buhl, a pitcher who toiled with the Braves and Cubs that season. Counsell and Bergen’s record for position players has since been surpassed by the Orioles’ Chris Davis, who got it up to 54 straight hitless ABs in 2019 before getting a hit on April 13.
- 2015 Clayton Kershaw strikes out Mike Trout looking with a wicked curveball, marking the first time that reigning MVPs have faced one another in a major league game. The interleague contest between the two LA teams ends with Dodger southpaw keeping the Angel outfielder 0-for-3 while hurling eight innings in the team’s 3-1 victory over the Halos at Chavez Ravine.
Lineups when available.
Tonight’s #Dodgers lineup at Giants: pic.twitter.com/QiYKXR1YNz
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 1, 2022
Big-time battle in The Bay
⏰: 6:45 p.m.
#SFGameUp | @CocaCola pic.twitter.com/ft7Mq2bgUL
— SFGiants (@SFGiants) August 1, 2022