Dodgers at Padres, 7:10 PM PDT, TV: Bally Sports San Diego, SPNLA
The Dodgers haven’t yet announced their starter for this game. The Padres will give the ball to RHP Pierce Johnson (3-2, 2.49 ERA).
The Dodgers activated LHP Julio Urías from the injured list and designated RHP Neftalí Féliz for assignment.
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 24, 2021
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1941 During a double-header against the Cardinals, a rag-tag group of five ‘musicians’, dubbed the Dodger SymPhony by announcer Red Barber, makes their Ebbets Field’s debut. This band, in which none of the members can read music, performs their zany antics at all evening and weekend games.
- 1955 A telegram sent to Brooklyn president Walter O’Malley by the Patchogue Chamber of Commerce offers the team “thirty acres or more of dry flat land in open country in the heart of Long Island’s densest Dodger fan concentration.” The village’s attempt to attract the fleeing franchise to the south shore of Suffolk County will not materialize, and the club, after exploring many different venues as an alternative to Ebbets Field, will leave the East Coast in 1958 to play in Los Angeles.
- 1957 The Dodgers, in a 13-3 loss to Milwaukee at Ebbets Field, use eight pitchers in one game, tying a major league record. Johnny Podres gives up three home runs in the fourth frame when Nippy Jones, Hank Aaron, and Andy Pafko all go deep off the Brooklyn starter.
- 1960 During a dull game, Vin Scully, the play-by-play voice of the Dodgers, knowing that many fans in the stands follow the game on transistor radios, asks his listeners to help him surprise third base umpire Frank Secory. His ballpark audience responds when the veteran broadcaster tells them, “Let’s have some fun. As soon as the inning is over I’ll count to three, and on three everybody yell, ‘Happy birthday, Frank!'”
- 1974 Davey Lopes steals five bases, tying a National League record established in 1904 by Giants first baseman Dan McGann. The Dodger second baseman’s quintet of stolen bags adds to the team’s franchise mark of eight stolen bases in their 3-0 victory over the Redbirds at Chavez Ravine.
- 1975 Davey Lopes steals his major league record 38th consecutive base, but the streak will be stopped by Montreal backstop Gary Carter when he attempts to swipe another base in the Dodger Stadium contest. The second baseman will be thrown out in the 12th inning of the team’s 5-3 loss in fourteen innings.
- 2014 Joc Pederson becomes the fourth player in the history of the Pacific Coast League to have a 30-30 season, and the first to accomplish the feat in 80 years, when he steals his 30th base for the Isotopes. The 22 year-old Albuquerque slugger, who has 32 home runs and a .432 slugging percentage in 116 games this season, will join the Dodgers when rosters expand next week.
Lineup when available.
Tonight’s #Dodgers lineup at Padres: pic.twitter.com/wQjVwoQM97
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 24, 2021
Bellinger may be a liability offensively going down the stretch. He may not be carrying his weigh offensively, but, He is a gold glove center fielder. A key position on the defense. This team has enough fire power to bat him 8th and reap the rewards of his defense. Think Big Red Machine. Cesar Geronimo. Outstanding center fielder. He didn’t hit a lot but he was a vacuum cleaner in center. Unlike Geronimo, Belli has more upside. Keep him in center field and batting 7th or 8th for now.. He may or may not break out this season, but, he just might. And when he does, look out. If he doesn’t , well, I think his defense is worth keeping him in the line up. Maybe sit him facing lefties.
I really agree.
I really think his team mates want him out there. Even slumping, his presence gives them more confidence. Can’t explain it, just a feeling.
And, by the way, kudos to AJ. Star of the game.
The Busted Poseur left the Gnats’ game with “knee discomfort.” No further information as to when the surgeons will attach the prosthetic.
Didn’t slow them down any however.
Don’t let it bother you. In the long run, they’re gnothing but… https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/8c9d5e23865fa890967e7dac34a531011715973fcdeeb1ef72f591bdc5cad37a.png
Nabil Crismatt. That is a name!
I would have had to wash my mouth out with soap if I said that too loudly as a kid. Lol.
Colombian of Middle Eastern descent from Barranquilla, where Shakira is from. A lot more Colombians in the Bigs in recent years.
No. 2 South American country in MLB. Who knows No. 3?
It’s a very distant third on the continent. Of course, if we count Aruba and Curaçao as part of South America, that changes things.
I have a friend in the Falklands who named his son Nabil. They are Bahais.
I wonder if the Mets are a bit tired of playing San Fran and LA?
Thoughtful of Tatís and Machado to make first-pitch outs.
Much better futuring there!
All for you, WBB.
Heckuva at bat, though.
Oh rats, Kenley.
Very bad futuring, Link!
Come on already guys.
You can future better than that!
Never quite clean…
One more, Kenley!
C’mon, future people!
This is tense.
Now past tense.
5-2, not so much.
It’s never easy. is it? That said, I think highly of Knebel.
Not good, Knebel.
5-0 is very much okay by me.
Me too. I have to get up at 3am to get ready for a medical procedure tomorrow. So I’m turning in now.
Best of luck!
The fourth run always makes me breathe easier.
What would a 5th run do?
“Plenty deep enough” is such an underrated baseball phrase.
Vesia has been a find.
FO had a good eye and traded a reliable middle innings reliever in Floro to get him
Floro was decent for the Dodgers and has been pretty good for the Fish.
Middle leverage guy.
One more week until some Sept call ups. I wonder who joins the team?
Is that still a thing?
Rosters expand to 28. I expect McKinstry will be one of them, and probably a bullpen arm.
Maybe no third catcher this year.
There’s no Keibert, but FedEx is still around.
That would be fun.
Would mostly mean Smith available to PH when he doesn’t start.
What’s the word on Kershaw after he got some pitches in today?
He’ll do another bullpen, which sounds like progress.
Those are the moments we couldn’t capitalize on earlier this year.
AJ is a marvel.
I was unenthusiastic about his signing, but he’s grown on me.
A big hit here and Pollock could have a lock on player of the game.
And there it is!
AJ is having a nice game!
Bad luck hit for CT3.
Bad luck for Manny too
Looks like he’s okay.
Gave Hudson additional warmup time.
Not so much, apparently.
Urias was at 32 pitches 2 innings ago. Now 73.
And now done.
Given he’s returning from injury, and that it will be the third time through the Pads’ order, not an unreasonable decision.
Kim is a pest.
Need a ground ball hit right to Turner or Seager or Turner.
A bit unlucky there
Got it, but…
Guy behind Pollock and the first row of fans must have a great video of the catch.
That is a massive catch.
Nice stretch AJ!
Makes up for the one on Sunday.
What a catch.
Consistency umps. That’s what we want is some consistency.
Doc was steamed.
If they keep going after his first pitch (and don’t get it), Julio could be around for a long time with 32 pitches after 3.
You jinxed him, ¡Mufa!
Meh, still at 46 pitches over 4.
Padres pitchers living on that outside pitch… Our batters need to at least fight them off.
It seems as if the umpires are trying to live it up one last time before the robots take over.
Among the best SS in the game, neither Tatis nor Turner actually play SS these days.
Mr. Smith goes downtown!
JT getting jobbed. Loose zone.
Trea jobbed himself.
Worthy successors to the Dodger SymPhony. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw
Joc as a base stealer never happened in the Bigs. The team itself wasn’t a running team. Rollins led the team with 20 attempts, followed by Carl Crawford with 12. Next was Joc with 11, but he was thrown out seven times!
Understand that Julio was activated in order to start tonight’s game.
Gnats already up 3-0 in the top of the second. Annoying.
Go Dodgers!! Time to start another long winning streak.