Dodgers at Diamondbacks, 6:40 PM PDT, TV: BS Arizona, SPNLA
The Dodgers continue their road trip tonight with RHP Walker Buehler (1-1, 4.02 ERA) trying to get his second win and his ERA down. He’s gone no longer than 5 2/3 innings so far this season. He’ll face the D-Backs’ RHP Merrill Kelly (1-0, 0.59 ERA), who’s been increasing his innings in each start and got a win in the last one, giving up a run on six hits to the Nationals over 6 1/3 innings. That was the first run he’d given up this year.
Today in Dodgers history:
- 1937 Cliff Melton becomes the first rookie to fan at least 10 batters in his major league debut, finishing with 13 strikeouts in a complete-game loss to the Braves at the Polo Grounds. The 25 year-old southpaw, who loses the 3-1 contest due to the poor defense of the Giants in the ninth inning, will hold the rookie record for K’s in his debut until Dodger freshman Karl Spooner whiffs 15 batters in his first major league start in 1954.
- 1958 In front of 60,635 fans at the Los Angeles Coliseum, the Dodgers, who beat St. Louis, 5-2, set a National League record for the largest crowd to attend a night game during the regular season. The mark will be broken next season when 61,552 fans show up on Opening Night at the Coliseum to watch their team defeat the Redbirds again.
- 1967 Jim Lefebvre commits three errors in the fourth frame, paving the way for the Braves’ 7-1 victory at Dodger Stadium. The Los Angeles third baseman commits a fourth error, booting Hank Aaron’s grounder in the top of the ninth inning.
- 1975 LA hurler Andy Messersmith strokes three doubles at Candlestick Park. The trio of two-baggers contributes to the Dodgers’ 6-5 victory over San Francisco with the right-hander scoring two runs and driving in another en route to his victory.
- 1976 During the fourth inning of the game being played at Dodger Stadium, Rick Monday becomes a national hero when he takes away an American Flag about to be set on fire by the two trespassers (a father and son) in the outfield. The Cubs’ 30 year-old fly chaser, who served six years in the Marine Reserves, will be presented the flag a month later in a pregame ceremony at Wrigley Field by L.A. executive Al Campanis as a gesture of patriotic thanks.
- 1995 The 257-day strike ends when the Dodgers beat the Marlins 8-7. The work stoppage caused last season to end early, forced the cancellation of the World Series, and delayed the opening of this season.
Lineups when available.
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) April 25, 2022
Game 17. pic.twitter.com/pQdhqLjOH4
— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) April 25, 2022