Athletics at Dodgers, 7:10 PM PDT, TV: NBCSCA, SPNLA
The A’s send LHP Hogan Harris (2-5, 6.07 ERA) to the mound to face the Dodgers’ RHP Tony Gonsolin (5-4, 4.25 ERA).
- 1938 Bright yellow baseballs designed by Frederick Rah, who believes the visibility of the dandelion-hue sphere will help players avoid getting hit by a pitch, are used in the first game of a doubleheader. The one-game experiment draws mixed reactions and the Dodgers complete their sweep of the twin bill from the Cardinals, 6-2 and 9-3, using the traditional white ball in the nightcap.
- 1982 During a ceremony held in Cooperstown, NY, the United States Postal Service unveils a 20-cent stamp commemorating baseball great Jackie Robinson as part of its annual Black Heritage series. The Dodger infielder becomes the first individual baseball player to be depicted on a U.S postage stamp.
- 2002 Reds general manager Jim Bowden is fined by commissioner Bud Selig for the comments he made to reporters prior to yesterday’s game against the Dodgers comparing a baseball strike with the terrorist attacks of September 11th. Quickly realizing the use of such analogy was inappropriate and insensitive, the Cincinnati GM issues an immediate apology after the game.
- 2008 In the first game after the Manny Ramirez trade to the Dodgers, the Fenway Faithful enthusiastically welcome Jason Bay, the player replacing the Boston icon. The former Pirates outfielder doesn’t disappoint, tripling and scoring the winning run in the 12th inning of the Red Sox’s 2-1 victory over the A’s.
- 2017 The Dodgers lose to the Braves, ending their nine-game winning streak. Had they won it would have been the third time this season they’d have won ten straight. The bullpen gives up the go-ahead runs in the eighth inning at Sun Trust Park in Atlanta.
Lineups when available.
Take two in LA ☀️ pic.twitter.com/Lzh7gTw8Nd
— Oakland A's (@Athletics) August 2, 2023
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 2, 2023