Dodgers at Giants, 6:05 PM PDT, TV: NBCS BA, SPNLA
National League ERA-leading LHP Julio Urías (16-7, 2.30 ERA) takes the mound at Oracle Park for the Dodgers. He’ll face the Giants’ RHP John Brebbia (6-1, 2.83 ERA).
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1912 Casey Stengel of the Dodgers makes an impressive major league debut against the Pirates. The likable Brooklyn outfielder from Kansas City collects four hits, drives in two runs, and swipes a pair of bases.
- 1963 Dodger ace Sandy Koufax tosses a four-hitter, blanking St. Louis at Sportsman’s Park, 4-0. The southpaw’s scoreless effort establishes a National League record for shutouts thrown by lefties in a season with 11, five shy of Grover Cleveland Alexander’s major league mark set in 1916 with the Phillies.
- 1981 Dodgers southpaw Fernando Valenzuela ties White Sox freshman Ewell Russell’s 1913 rookie record when he hurls his eighth shutout of the season, blanking Atlanta on three hits. The 20 year-old Mexican’s 2-0 victory breaks the previous National League mark shared by Irving Young (Braves, 1905), Grover Cleveland Alexander (Phillies, 1911), and Jerry Koosman (Mets, 1968).
- 1996 Dodger right-hander Hideo Nomo no-hits the Rockies, 9-0, at Coor Field, becoming the only big league hurler to accomplish the feat in the thin air of Denver. Tornado Boy’s performance in Colorado is the best-attended no-no and is the only hitless game with a paid attendance of more than 50,000 fans.
- 2010 Joe Torre, who will compile a 2326-1997 (.538) managerial record during his 30 seasons as a skipper with the Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Yankees, and Dodgers, announces he will be retiring at the end of the month. Los Angeles immediately hires the team’s hitting coach Don Mattingly to replace the 70 year-old.
- 2014 Jacob DeGrom strikes out the first eight batters he faces in the Mets’ 6-5 loss in Miami, tying the modern-day major league mark to start a game. The Amazins’ rookie right-hander now shares the record with Jim Deshaies, who struck out the first eight Dodgers he faced with the Astros in a 1986 contest.
A whole lot of interesting things happened on this date in baseball history; take a look.
Lineups when available.
Tonight’s #Dodgers lineup at Giants: pic.twitter.com/uJptVoX9IP
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) September 17, 2022
The young buck is back
⏰: 6:05 p.m.
#SFGameUp | @CocaCola pic.twitter.com/bse5ydxoFy
— SFGiants (@SFGiants) September 17, 2022
Not too many cheap outs for the Dodgers tonight.
Joey K Bart does it again! Also, thanks for the PBs…
You are the proverbial dog with the proverbial bone aren’t you big guy?!
Urias must be happy. Hope he’s not too cooled off.
I’m sure if he is pitching well he will go a bit longer than May did last night – but maybe only to the 6th.
Dodgers have to win14 of their last 18 to finish above .700.
Not impossible – but not too likely. My guess is between 110-112 wins. They will only keep the foot on the gas peddle for so long before resting guys, etc.
Zippity do dah, zippity day!
Fewest games to get to 100 in Dodger history.
Just In: Dodgers win!
Woo-HOO! One hundred!!!
I have been quite moved these last few days watching the constant stream of people paying their final respects to the Queen. The BBC livestream has been playing in the background on my phone quite often…
Apparently all well behaved and respectful.
Not to mention the sheer number of them. My goodness.
My Mom, meeting the Queen, with my Dad watching and beaming many years ago. They were talking about Corgis, of course. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/73a0af4eea5ec45a48e51644c5d307aa60a791af1813fb3299b6834ca645d0ff.jpg
Oh wow RBI! That is so cool.
What was the occasion?
Not sure – but probably a bank-related event.
I saw her once here in Winnipeg, but only as part of a crowd. No interactions but still a good memory.
I know- my Mom bred dogs and was a true Anglophile. They lived in London for six years – Dad worked for the London branch of Morgan Guaranty Trust Bank over there.
3 outs away from 100
Another double. That’s our catcher!
On to the ninth…
Get ready WBB!
A perfect night for Joey K Bart!
Dodgers looking to gain a game on the team closest to them in the standings – the Astros. Hadn’t really realized that they were only about 4 games behind.
You misspelled “Trashtros,” and they’re seven games behind in the loss column.
As of tonight yes.
And Freddie gets the third out with a sweet catch.
Kahnle looked good with the first two batters…
Dodgers still haven’t set the Giants down 1,2,3 in an inning tonight yet.
Last night they were only two batters over the minimum.
Jumbo Jacked them.
Good job, Julio.
Nice night there Julio.
Joey K Bart makes it 3-for-3!
Fairly high pitch count for Julio. 90 with only 1 out in the 6th. Need a DP here please.
Next year Max. That will be a hit next year.
Okay Julio – another 2 sharp innings please.
One down one to go.
Mookie gets a hit. Now just need to get Lux on board.
OhioDodger: That was a rather large number put up by the Buckeyes tonight.
Yep. I think it is tied for the most ever by the Buckeyes in a game. Not against a very good team however.
Maybe since 1917. Apparently in 1916, Ohio State beat Oberlin 128-0.
Wow. I did not know that.
Very cool site. I bookmarked it. Thanks
Although the all time college football record is George Tech squeaking by Cumberland 222-0 – also in 1916.
And they were probably doing it all running the ball. Amazing.
You are right: 29 offensive plays, all running plays – 501 total yards! Over 17 yards / play.
Even Oregon State scored 68 tonight
And Oklahoma State with 63. Good night for the OSU’s.
So I guess JT’s team option contract next year will be picked up? He will make 16M – or else be bought out for 2M.
As an aside – I would gladly be bought out for 2M.
Yep. Good possibility. The big decision will be on Bellinger.
Oh goodness. Do you pay around 20M for the best defensive CF in baseball? Yes – and hope once more the bat returns to form.
That is a tough question. For me, alot depends on what he does in the playoffs.
Dodgers keep on keeping on.
Ok Urias – that’s it for the night. One solo HR and nothing else.
Forgot that Urias is probably used to long innings as the Dodgers tend to score lots of runs when he pitches!
And sometimes due to sloppy defense.
Urias been sitting for a while now.
Maybe that is the Giants’ strategy.
If, in this inning, Lux and Mookie become the 8th and 9th Dodgers to get hits tonight – this game will be well in hand.
A jolly good time.
So to speak?
Ho Ho Ho
Supposedly this is the Gnats’ No. 1 starting pitcher “prospect.”
He stands at the top
The Big Unit took a while to fully blossom.
Gameday is really slow tonight. Maybe the wind is holding it up.
This inning is fun so far.
No eyes, but it doesn’t sound as if Julito’s at his sharpest.
Usually have to get to him early. He has had a couple of high and wide fastballs but overall he is doing well.
I like that bunt.
That bunt won’t be as easy next year.
Joey K Bart delivers again!
I do love this team.
Gallo with the 300th double of the year for the Dodgers.
Trayce!!! Leaving no Trayce of that ball!! Lol.
¡Esa pelota nunca volverá!
Sloppy play 1 Dodgers 0.
Not a great throw but Freddie should have had it.
Blacked out here, so we’ll take your word for it.
Let’s go Julio.
Tonight, it appears, will be a blackout rather than a rainout at Software Stadium. It’ll be a windy one, though.
The fans and players are not wearing coldware.
On our side of the bay, it’s 63° with 13 MPH winds out of the southwest,