Braves at Dodgers, 6:10 PM PT, TV: SPNLA, FSSO
The visiting Braves send RHP Julio Teheran (7-7, 4.69 ERA) out to keep their two-game winning streak going, and the Dodgers ask LHP Rich Hill (6-4, 3.55 ERA) to put a stop to their unaccustomed two-game losing streak.
Teheran has allowed two runs or fewer in his last three starts but lost the last one, even though he went six innings and gave up only five hits. Hill has gone 3-1 in his last five starts with a 1.74 ERA. Pitchers’ history:
- In seven games (five starts) against Atlanta, Hill is 3-0 with a 1.89 ERA and 31 strikeouts against 10 walks in 33 1/3 innings, limiting hitters to a slash line of .192/.252/.258.
- Teheran hasn’t had much luck in six starts against the Dodgers. The righty is 0-5 with a 5.50 ERA, 37 strikeouts and 13 walks in 37 2/3 innings vs. the Dodgers.
This date in Dodgers’ history:
- 1913 In a game against the Superbas (Dodgers), Slim Sallee becomes the first pitcher in Cardinal history to steal home. In the third inning, the Redbird southpaw scores the first run in St. Louis’s 3-1 victory over Brooklyn at Ebbets Field.
- 1966 The Mets left fielder learns he is a new dad when the Dodger Stadium scoreboard relays the message, “Congratulations, Ron Swoboda. Your new son is born tomorrow morning”. Cecilia Swoboda gave birth to Chipper, the couple’s first child, at 1:05 a.m. eastern standard time, making it the next day on the West Coast.
- 2005 Yhency Brazoban records his 18th save when he works a perfect ninth inning as the Dodgers beat the Mets, 6-5. The Los Angeles freshman, who is filling in for injured closer Eric Gagne, breaks Steve Howe’s club rookie record for saves established in 1980.
In a non-Dodger historical episode of remarkable futility: in 1962 during a doubleheader with the Reds at Crosley Field, the Mets had four runners thrown out trying to score at home plate. It’s play of that sort that doomed them to a 120-loss season.
Lineup when available.
Tonight's Dodger lineup vs. Braves:
Hill P pic.twitter.com/JqGgy4GRuL
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) July 22, 2017