Texas at Baltimore, 1:07 PM PDT, TV: FS1
LHP Jordan Montgomery pitches for the Rangers and RHP Grayson Rodriguez goes for the Orioles. Texas has a 1-0 lead in the series.
Minnesota at Houston, 5:03 PM PDT, TV: FS1
RHP Pablo López takes the mound for the Twins and LHP Framber Valdez does so for the Astros. Houston leads the series 1-0.
- 1908 In a make-up contest necessitated by Fred Merkle’s baserunning blunder on September 23, Three Finger Brown outduels Christy Mathewson, 4-2, as the Cubs win the National League pennant by one game over the Giants in one of the most dramatic pennant races of all time.
- 1929In front of 50,000 fans at Wrigley Field, surprise starter Howard Ehmke establishes a new World Series record, striking out 13 Cubs en route to a 3-1 A’s victory in Game 1 of the Fall Classic. The mark will last 34 years until Dodger hurler Carl Erskine fans 14 Yankees in 1953.
- 1939 In the top of the tenth, Yankee outfielder Joe DiMaggio scores from first base when Reds’ catcher Ernie Lombardi lies in a daze at home plate after being run over by ‘King Kong’ Charlie Keller. The Bronx Bombers score three runs thanks to ‘Lombardi’s Swoon,’ winning the game, 7-4, to complete the World Series sweep and become the first club to win four consecutive Fall Classics.
- 1956 Don Larsen pitches the first perfect game in World Series history, defeating the Dodgers, 2-0 in Game 5 of the Fall Classic at Yankee Stadium. The 27-year-old right-hander, who had a poor start in Game 2 because of a lack of control, throws only 97 pitches, striking out pinch-hitter Dale Mitchell looking for the final out.
- 1957 Club President Walter O’Malley makes it official, announcing the Dodgers will play in Los Angeles next season. The club’s departure from Brooklyn corresponds with the massive social shift in the borough that finds many of its former residents leaving for the suburbs of Long Island.
- 1966 The Orioles collect only three hits off Claude Osteen, but Paul Blair’s fifth-inning 430-foot home run proves to be the difference when Baltimore beats the Dodgers in Game 3 of the World Series, 1-0. Wally Bunker throws a six-hitter, winning the first Fall Classic game ever played in Baltimore.