Dodgers at Cardinals, 4:45 PM PDT, TV: Bally Sports Midwest, SPNLA
The Dodgers have yet to announce a starter, while LHP J.A. Happ (8-7, 6.20 ERA) goes for the Cardinals.
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1903 A year before the first subway line is completed, the Brooklyn Superbas, later to be known as the Dodgers, play their cross-town rivals in a two-stadium, same-day doubleheader. The first game played in Washington Park begins at 10:30 am with 9,300 fans watching the visiting Giants win the opener, 6-4, and later that afternoon in front of 23,623 patrons at the Polo Grounds in Manhattan, Brooklyn wins the second game, 3-0.
- 1916 The Giants defeat the Dodgers 4-1 to start their major league record 26-game winning streak. The ‘Jints’ start the span two games under .500 and make up nine games in the standings, but remain in fourth place during the entire streak.
- 1962 With four steals in a 10-1 loss to the Pirates, Dodger Maury Wills breaks the modern National League record for stolen bases in a season with his 82nd swipe. Bob Bescher established the mark in 1911, playing left field for Cincinnati.
- 1964 At Connie Mack Stadium, a Labor Day crowd of 26,390 fans watches the first-place Phillies split a doubleheader with the Dodgers. The attendance for the twin bill brings the season’s total to 1,224,172 patrons, breaking the all-time franchise home attendance record established by the Whiz Kids in 1950.
- 2001 Shawn Green breaks a franchise record for homers in a season with his 44th home run, the first of two dingers the Dodger right fielder will hit off Dustin Hermanson in the team’s 7-1 victory over the Cardinals at Busch Stadium. The previous mark had been shared by Duke Snider (1956) and Gary Sheffield (2000).
Lineup when available.
Today’s #Dodgers lineup at Cardinals: pic.twitter.com/DbjtzEpIS6
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) September 7, 2021
Heck of a win. Way to go boys. C’mon Rockies.
It would be great if the Rockies could salvage the last game of their series vs. the Giants, but Colorado’s pitching is weak.
The Rox’ best starter is blanking the Gnats through four, with six K’s.
Get your kicks… https://twitter.com/cdgoldstein/status/1435397024866869249?s=20
Woo-HOO!!! Haven’t even seen the game yet!
Dodgers win, Dodgers win!
Treinen recovering from a shaky beginning.
Kenley in the 9th?
With a five-run lead now, who knows?
Poet Pablo Neruda’s birth name was Neftalí Reyes Basoalto.
OK, Max, put the game out of reach.
Smith a nice 4 for 4 today
I wonder what Scandinavian country Lars Nootbaar’s family hails from. I’d guess Sweden.
It’s a Dutch name.
Ahhh, that makes sense.
Lars could certainly be Swedish or Norwegian, but Nootbaar very Dutch.
I found this on Wikipedia: “Larsen Danish pronunciation: [ˈlɑːsn̩], is a Danish-Norwegian patronymic surname, literally meaning “son of Lars” (equivalent of Laurentius). It is the seventh most common surname in Denmark, shared by about 2.4% of the population.”
I have many living Swedish relatives, but none from Norway that I know of. There might be some https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Finns in the mix, but that’s not clear.
We hosted an AFS student from Norway for the school year 18 years ago. It was a delightful experience. He graduated Carmel High, where he was on the wrestling team, and we bought him a letterman’s jacket. We have subsequently visited Steffen and his family in Trondheim and he and his brother later visited us.
I’ve only been to Oslo, Lillehammer (a must-see on Netflix), and my late grandmother’s birthplace of Trysil (she was also of Danish descent). Several of my Swedish cousins have visited us.
Worthy of Holland Fame?
Ouch! (But a very good one.)
This is Knebel’s seventh season in the majors, yet Gameday apparently has no picture of him.
Is Wednesday night another bullpen game for us? Doc has already used six relievers tonight, and he will use a seventh in the seventh inning. With the slightly expanded rosters — 26 to 28 — how many relievers are we carrying?
15 or 16 pitchers, I think.
I feel better, then. I figured we had to to at least split these back-to-back bullpen games and then get a win from Urias on Thursday.
It appears it will be. That said, Vesia threw just three pitches, Graterol only 8. Phillips and Greene low-leverage guys, but Bickford went 17,
Souza’s slash in 46 games with OKC this year: .247/.387/.507/.894, with 9 HR and 27 RBI. He hit 30 homers for Tampa Bay in 2017.
An eight-pitch inning for Graterol.
Smith wessons one out.
Quite a shot.
It seems like Justin hasn’t HR in months
What sayest thou?
What a wonderful moment for Uncle Albert. Go Dodgers.
I can’t believe what I just saw…
I just looked at a picture of the Lasorda bobblehead on the Dodgers.com site. It doesn’t look like him.
It doesn’t, but it is eerily reminiscent.
Scalp’s a bit too full of hair.
I wonder if this season is a record in regards to the number of players in a season on the 60 day injured list
Souza apparently has an impressive track record v. Happ.