I’m disappointed more people didn’t play, but that’s the way it goes. Maybe the news has been so unremittingly bad that frivolity seemed out of step.
Here are the answers:
1. J Pierpont Finch: Leading man, “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying,” played first on stage and screen by Robert Morse
2. Roger Thornhill: Leading man, “North by Northwest,” played by Cary Grant
3. Joe Bradley: Leading man, “Roman Holiday,” played by Gregory Peck
4. Joe Clay: Leading man, “Days of Wine and Roses,” played by Jack Lemmon
5. Max Cady: Ex-con and rapist out for vengeance in “Cape Fear,” played by Robert Mitchum in the original and Robert De Niro in the remake
6. Rowdy Yates: Cattle drover on “Rawhide,” played by Clint Eastwood
7. Bert, the friendly cop in “It’s a Wonderful Life”: Ward Bond of “Wagon Trail” fame. Amazingly, he had roles in 13 films which were nominated for Best Picture.
8. LCDR Quinton McHale: Ernest Borgnine in “McHale’s Navy.”
9. Col. Andrea Stavrou: Greek resistance fighter, “The Guns of Navarone,” Anthony Quinn
10. Curly Washburn: “City Slickers,” Jack Palance