Dodgers at Marlins, 3:40 PM PDT, TV: Bally Sports Florida, SPNLA
LHP Tyler Anderson (13-2, 2.73 ERA) pitches for the visiting Dodgers. The Marlins have yet to announce their starter as of Thursday evening. Anderson is 2-1 in August with a 3.24 ERA.
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1939 At Brooklyn’s Ebbets Field, NBC televises the first major league game in history on experimental station W2XBS, covering a doubleheader split in which the Reds win the first game, 5-2, and the Dodgers take the nightcap, 6-1. The network employs two cameras, one behind home plate, showing a wide view of the field, and the other on the third base line to capture the plays at first base.
- 1947 Dan Bankhead becomes the major league’s first black pitcher. The 27 year-old right-hander doesn’t do well in a relief stint, giving up ten hits and six runs in 3.1 innings in a 16-3 loss to the Pirates, but the Dodger rookie hits his only big league home run in his first major league at-bat.
- 1965 At Shea Stadium, the Mets beat the Dodgers, 5-2, making Tug McGraw (2-2) the first Mets pitcher to defeat Sandy Koufax (21-7). Previously, New York had lost 13 consecutive times to the future Hall of Fame southpaw.
- 1993 The Mets announce that Vince Coleman will remain on paid administrative leave until the end of the season, effectively ending his playing career with the team. Co-owner Fred Wilpon’s unequivocal decision that the controversial outfielder, who signed a four-year $11.95 million contract before the 1991 season, will not ever put on a Mets uniform again is the result of Coleman admitting to tossing a M-100 firecracker from a Jeep departing from a Dodger Stadium parking lot last month, injuring three people.
- 2020 “Our team and the Reds felt that with our community and our nation in such pain, tonight we wanted 100 percent of the focus to be on issues that are much more important than baseball,” – BRENT SUTER, the team’s MLB Players Association representative.
MLB postpones the Miller Park contest to respect the Brewers’ decision not to participate in the game against the Reds following the police shooting of a 29-year-old Wisconsin black man. Later in the day, the Mariners, who have more Black players than any team in the sport, and the Dodgers also choose not to play.
Lineups when available.
Today’s #Dodgers lineup at Marlins: pic.twitter.com/J3yN1o4gkO
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 26, 2022
Dodgers have hit HRs and hard line drives.
Marlins have hit one HR too – but mostly bloops and simple ground balls.
Aaron Judge just hit a monstrous three-run homer deep over the centerfield fence to snap a 0-0 tie.
Unfortunately, it was too much for our hometown Atléticos.
Dodgers’ winning percentage is now officially .702.
50 games above sea level.
Not often have the Dodgers scored 5 in these new extras.
OK, Brewster, finish it off.
I had to step away, but the Dodgers took care of business, apparently.
Just need to finish the deal.
Max. Join the hit parade buddy.
Ok Will. Ice this baby.
Ok Fredrick. Take the hit lead back from Trea.
You’re on fire tonight.
I got it from the Dodgers.
Trea helps out.
Add on Dodgers.
There you go.
Maybe Betts can go for 3.
Belli battling. And gets a fish dunk hit.
Belli scorches one!
My daughter and I at the A’s game tonight!
What is the significance of LADABC?
Hospitalized with shortness of Breath. Extea innings? Yikes!
I was wondering the same.
Yeah, COPD flareuo
Sorry to hear it.
Hope you are feeling better Link.
Maybe tomorrow, tks
Gee, Judge is big.
The Quebecker is a tough out.
I didn’t tune in to watch the ’62 Mets.
Dang it JT
Oh Trea. Come on buddy.
He’s made far more difficult plays than that.
He made that play look hard instead of routine.
Hoping to see CT3 on 2nd base in the top of the 10th.
Let’s go Price Savers.
There’s 2. And hey, I’d take more.
JT hit it too hard.
Up to you JT. Lock in.
Ok Max. Do damage.
Pitching carefully to Will here.
Too bad Trayce hadn’t been on base he said greedily.
Holy cow. Mook..
Sweet catch Belli. Now let’s score 2.
When Okert was a Gnat, they had another reliever named Osich. I’ll let you guess what their nicknames were.
Gnokert and Gnosich?
I shall refrain from a Rule No. 1 violation.
Batman and Robin?
Ernie and Bert?
Mutt and Jeff?
Oh Crap and Oh S***
You got it.
Back to the drawing board.
He who hesitates is lost.
Hey Dave. Welcome back. Congrats to your son.
Thanks. If I feel like I have been away so much this summer that I need to change my handle to TravellingDave.
Even before this, Bickford had pitched his way off the post-season roster.
A lot can happen in 6 min.
He’s had his moments but, at best, he’s work-in-progress.
Aren’t we all.
Should be the last of Bickford.
Philling the bases with runners.
DP please here Phil.
Fine play by Smith, but Bickford is pitching his way off the post-season roster.
Ok Freddie. Do what Mookie just did.
Old friend Scott Alexander is gnow a Gnat.
Except for a bloop hit in the first, we would be talking about how interesting a game this is.
I’m going to the A’s-Yankees game in Oakland tonight with my daughter and will be rooting for Oakland.
Good life choice.
Yanqui losses are never bad (except, perhaps, when they’re playing the Trashtros).
Curious how you feel about the AL Chicago team?
Why would anybody care about them?
Because they gave baseball a black eye. Like the no good Houston team did.
That was eons ago, and you gotta sympathize with Shoeless Joe.
Well this is what I was curious about. That would mean at some point the Trashtros will revert back to the Astros…
Not in our lifetimes, and they have nobody to compare with Shoeless Joe.
You are right they didn’t have a Shoeless Joe. And they certainly didn’t have a Shirtless Jose.
This is very good.
Got back last night from my son’s 5 day National ultimate frisbee tournament. His team had a bunch of tough loses, but he was named MVP for his team.
Dodgers have not had a bunch of tough loses. They have barely had any tough wins of late. Although today’s game is still scoreless so it might qualify.
And if the Dodgers start to cool off now that I’m back – take heart that I’m away most of next week as well!
Dodgers need to win tonight to get back above .700.