Dodgers at Giants, 6:45 PM PDT, TV: FS1, NBCS-BA, SPNLA
The visiting Dodgers hand the ball to LHP Julio Urias (2-0, 2.74 ERA). He’ll face the Giants’ RHP Johnny Cueto (2-0, 4.35 ERA). Urias’s last outing was poor: he only went 1 2/3 innings, throwing 52 pitches while giving up four hits and one run to the Mariners. In Cueto’s last start he went 5 2/3 innings and gave up two runs on four hits and got the win against the Angels.
Here’s video of the Dodgers’ seven HRs in their 11-3 win over the Rockies:
On this day in Dodgers’ history:
- 1979 In a Hollywood Stars vs. the Media game played at Dodger Stadium, Robin Williams, the star of the hit television series, Mork and Mindy, a show in which he plays an alien, runs the bases backwards. The comedian explains circling the bags clockwise is very common on the Planet Ork, his character’s home in the universe.
- 1995 At Veterans Stadium, Gregg Jefferies hits for the cycle when Philadelphia crushes the Dodgers, 17-4. The Phillies’ first baseman, who has four RBIs and scores four runs, collects all of his extra-base hits off of LA starting pitcher Hideo Nomo.
- 2008 After being swept in a four-game series earlier in the month in L.A., the Phillies return the favor, beating the Dodgers, 5-0, to complete its own four-game sweep. It is the first time in franchise history that Philadelphia has swept the Dodgers in a four-game series at home.
- 2009 With a 5-4 win in ten innings over the Dodgers, the Rockies move 18 games over .500 for the first time in franchise history. The wild-card leader, winning 52 of their last 74 games, the latest on a Troy Tulowitzki bases-loaded single, has cut LA’s Western Division lead from 15.5 games on June 3 to just two games.
- 2012 In a nine-player blockbuster trade, the Dodgers obtain Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, Nick Punto, and cash considerations for James Loney, Allen Webster, Ivan De Jesus, Jr., and two players to be named later (Rubby De La Rosa and Jerry Sands). The deal gives the new Dodgers ownership an opportunity to show their fans they are serious about making a run for the postseason, while giving an under-performing Boston team more financial flexibility in the offseason.
Lineup when available.
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 25, 2020