Dodgers at Orioles, 4:05 PM PDT, TV: MASN, SPNLA
The NL West champion Dodgers send RHP Ross Stripling (4-4, 3.42 ERA) to the mound to face the Orioles’ rookie LHP John Means (10-10, 3.50 ERA). “Chicken Strip” has made 13 starts and 15 relief appearances this season; he’s got a 3.38 ERA as a starter and a 3.57 ERA as a reliever. In his last start on September 1 he went three scoreless innings; he probably won’t go much longer than that in Wednesday’s game. Means is approaching a career high in innings at 131; the most he’s ever thrown in a season was 157 last year. In his last four starts he’s put up a 2.45 ERA.
So how did the Dodgers get here this go-around?
- MLB-leading ERA (3.12), K/BB ratio (4.72), WHIP (1.07) and shutouts (15) from its starters
- The highest run differential in the NL (+237) by a cushion of 125 runs
- A National League record in homers that is continuing to build (258)
- The highest team OPS in the NL
- Only one losing streak of five games or more
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1959 The Dodgers end Elroy Face’s consecutive win streak at 22 with a 5-4 victory over the Pirates. The reliever, who will end the season with an 18-1 record, is beaten by Chuck Churn, one of only three major league victories in his career.
- 1966 In his first major league at-bat, John Miller homers off Lee Stange in the second inning of the Yankees’ 4-2 victory over Boston at Fenway Park. The 22 year-old left fielder, whose total of 10 hits in his 32-game career will include just two round-trippers, will become the only player to hit home runs in his first and last major league plate appearance when he goes deep as a pinch-hitter for the Dodgers in his final turn at bat in 1966.
- 1998 Kevin Malone is named as the Dodgers’ general manager, replacing Tommy Lasorda, who is promoted to Senior Vice President of the team. The “new sheriff in town” tenure in Los Angeles will be marked by the signing of high profile players to huge contracts, including Kevin Brown’s seven-year deal making the right-hander the first $100 million man in baseball.
Lineup when available.
Today’s Dodger lineup at Orioles:
(Stripling P)#Dodgers | @Biofreeze pic.twitter.com/BcMu5Hnz46
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) September 11, 2019