Twins at Dodgers, 7:10 PM PDT, TV: BS North, MLBN (out-of-market only), SPNLA
RHP Bailey Ober (2-0, 1.85 ERA) goes for the Twins and LHP Clayton Kershaw (6-2, 2.36 ERA) goes for the Dodgers.
- 1913 Alfredo Cabrera, born in the Canary Islands, becomes the first person from Spain to appear in the majors. The 32 year-old Cardinals shortstop will go 0-for-2 in the only big league game he will play, a 6-5 loss to the Dodgers at Ebbets Field.
- 1967 Reliever Phil Regan loses his first game in 77 appearances. The ‘Vulture’ gets pinned with his first defeat in over a year when Astros’ third baseman Bob Aspromonte hits a two-run triple in the tenth to beat the Dodgers, 5-3.
- 1970 During a game against the Giants at Dodger Stadium, Alan Fish, sitting with friends from the Poinsettia Playground in the second row seats along the first base line, is struck in the head by a foul ball off the bat of Manny Mota. The 14 year-old boy will die four days later to become the first fatality as a result of a batted ball in major league history.
- 1983 In an 11-4 rout of the Pirates, rookie right fielder Darryl Strawberry hit his first major league home run, a two-run round-tripper off Pittsburgh’s Lee Tunnell at Three Rivers Stadium. The troubled Mets outfielder, the eventual franchise leader with 252 homers, will hit a total of 335 during his turbulent 17-year career with the Mets, Dodgers, Giants, and Yankees.
- 2000 After a fan steals Los Angeles’ catcher Chad Kreuter’s hat and hits him in the back of the head, many Dodgers, including coaches John Shelby and Rick Dempsey, go into the stands and start fighting with the Wrigley Field faithful. When the melee ends, several fans are arrested as the game is delayed nearly ten minutes, and there is litter all over the field.
Lineups when available.
Bailey Ober takes the mound for game two in LA.#MNTwins pic.twitter.com/8XBP79gFZp
— Minnesota Twins (@Twins) May 16, 2023
Tonight’s #Dodgers lineup vs. Twins: pic.twitter.com/wZW2W4QSGw
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) May 16, 2023