Guardians at Dodgers, 1:10 PM PDT, TV: Bally Sports Great Lakes, SPNLA
RHP Shane Bieber (3-3, 3.01 ERA) takes the hill for the Guardians and LHP Andrew Heaney (1-0, 0.00 ERA) does the same for the Dodgers. Bieber won a Cy Young award in 2019 but suffered multiple injuries in 2021; he’s not yet back to his best. It will be Heaney’s first start since going onto the IL on April 21 with shoulder stiffness.
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1952 Carl Erskine throws a no-hitter against the Cubs in the Dodgers’ 5-0 victory at Ebbets Field. A third inning walk to the opposing pitcher, which accounts for the only runner to reach base, may have been a result of skipper Chuck Dressen telling the 25 year-old right-hander to speed up his pitches due to an impending storm.
- 1963 At Yankee Stadium, the Mayor’s Trophy Game is revived, with the cellar-dwelling Mets beating the mighty Yanks, 6-2. Prior to leaving for the West Coast, the Dodgers would play the Bronx Bombers in the annual midsummer exhibition contest to raise money for sandlot baseball teams.
- 1972 At Three Rivers Stadium, Roberto Clemente hits a two-run homer in the bottom of the eighth inning to become the Pirates’ all-time RBI leader. The Pittsburgh right fielder’s three ribbies in the 13-3 drubbing of the Dodgers give the future Hall of Famer a total of 1,274 runs batted in for the Bucs.
- 1973 In different games, the Reds’ Pete Rose and Dodger Willie Davis both collect their 2,000th career hit. The Cincinnati infielder, known as ‘Charlie Hustle’, reaches the milestone with a single against San Francisco in the Reds’ 4-0 victory at Candlestick Park, and the L.A. outfielder, known as ‘3-Dog’, reaches the plateau in front of the home crowd with a two-run home run in the team’s 3-0 victory over Atlanta.
- 1990 Gary Carter breaks a National League mark when he catches his 1,862nd career game in the Giants’ 4-3 loss to San Diego. ‘The Kid’ surpasses Al Lopez, who had established the record for backstops in 1946 after playing 18 seasons in the Senior Circuit with the Dodgers, Braves, and Pirates. Ivan Rodriguez, Carlton Fisk, Bob Boone and the still-active Yadier Molina have since surpassed Carter.
Also of note: In 2003 during a College World Series contest against Stanford, a pitch strikes Cal State Fullerton shortstop Justin Turner on the left side of his face as he attempts to bunt. Adding insult to injury, the future Mets and Dodgers infielder also suffers a broken ankle on the play when he unsuccessfully tries to avoid getting hit by the 87-mph fastball thrown by Matt Manship.
Lineups when available.
— Cleveland Guardians (@CleGuardians) June 19, 2022
Today’s #Dodgers lineup vs. Guardians: pic.twitter.com/g27Qn04slO
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) June 19, 2022