Dodgers at Rockies, 12:10 PM PDT, TV: ATT SportsNet RM, SPNLA
LHP Julio Urías makes his first start of the season for the Dodgers. He’ll face the Rockies’ RHP Antonio Senzatela, who’s doing the same.
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1947 During the sixth inning of an exhibition game against their minor league team at Ebbets Field, the Montreal Royals, Dodgers’ president Branch Rickey issues a brief statement to the press. The two sentences will forever change the game when the team announces “The Brooklyn Dodgers today purchased the contract of Jackie Roosevelt Robinson from the Montreal Royals. He will report immediately.”
- 1962 In front of 52,564 fans, Reds infielder Eddie Kasko doubles off of Johnny Podres in the first ever at-bat at Dodger Stadium, and Duke Snider’s single in the bottom of the second accounts for the home team’s first hit. After playing their first four seasons at the LA Memorial Coliseum, the team drops a 6-3 decision to the Reds in the debut of the new $22 million ballpark in Chavez Ravine, financed with a low two-percent interest loan from the Union Oil Company in exchange for exclusive rights to advertise within the stadium.
- 1962 Wally Post hits the first home run in Dodger Stadium history, a two-out, three-run shot in the seventh inning off Johnny Podres that proves to be the difference in the Cincinnati’s 6-3 victory. The left fielder’s round-tripper to center field is a fair ball, unlike some others hit in the ballpark where the foul poles are discovered to be positioned in foul territory, requiring special permission from the National League to be recognized as fair during the first year in the team’s new home in Chavez Ravine.
- 1976 After being granted his free agency in a landmark case which will forever change baseball, Andy Messersmith becomes one of the first major leaguers to use his new status to sign with a team of his choice. The former Dodger right-hander comes to terms with the Braves and will post a 16-15 record during his two-year tenure for his new club.
- 2012 Vin Scully misses the Dodgers’ home opener for the first time in 35 years when doctors order the 84 year-old Hall of Fame broadcaster to rest as he recovers from a bad cold. The last time the team’s play-by-play announcer was absent from the season’s first home game he was calling the first round of the Masters in 1977.
Today's #Dodgers lineup at Rockies: pic.twitter.com/AxyPrpsiIf
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) April 10, 2022
An afternoon rubber match at Coors 🔜 pic.twitter.com/R3WdNO8s3n
— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) April 10, 2022
Weather for Minneapolis calls for 40 degree temps and rain. Kersh scheduled to pitch on Wednesday. I would not pitch him in that weather with his back and elbow issues. Why in the heck didn’t they build a stadium with a retractable roof there? Should figure a way to retrofit one.
Also should have built a dome in Denver. Control the environment so it plays closer to sea level.
I attended a game in Minneapolis in their old bubble roof stadium. I think it finally collopsed.
Roof collapsed from snow in 2010. Demolished in 2014.
They need to remove the domes that now exist, and eliminate artificial turf. Diverse playing conditions are part of what makes baseball so interesting.
Maybe we won’t have Smoltz to kick around any more… https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1513963618873888768?s=20&t=4MmNCV7l1GN6PIlYP35ZaA
It’s hopeless, friends. https://www.latimes.com/sports/newsletter/2022-04-12/dodgers-poor-start-dodgers-dugout?utm_id=52661&sfmc_id=586899
Link, we continue to get loads of likes from different names with identical profiles. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/1bfbf6b7f88cd0a6f820345e0c0dc14cd0001e0662fc3b055eea5a227071be9b.png
You’re seeing it in the comments? ‘Cause I don’t see that at all.
It comes up when you click on the name of the person who gave you a like.
I just logged in and saw them in the Disqus Spam folder. Got rid of them. I haven’t got an idea of how to block them, yet. I’ll pay attention.
It’s possible to block them individually, but that doesn’t stop the problem which must be a Disqus issue.
Betts stunk up the joint today. 3 K and 5 LOB.
PFFFFFT That just about does it.
You took the words out of my mouth.
IIRC, the topic of mascots came up the other day. https://twitter.com/nyporchsport/status/1513163856067059717?s=20&t=_nYW5ba7YiCOVaXgKVL9xQ
That was lame. Running out of time.
Gotta hold’em here. No more runs.
Mook and Fred not getting it done. 8 LOB for them today. Unacceptable.
After tonight, there are just 159 games left…
In Colorado to boot. Dodgers died with their boots.
I know it is wayyyyyyyyyyy too early in the season for this, but it came to mind:
I saw one of Freddy’s last live performances. He was a legend.
Time for Mookie and Freddy to step up.
Five Ks already this year for Mookie.
My favorite memory of Chacin: Opening Day in 2017:
I was just thinking of this game! I listened to it on a Greyhound bus from Saskatoon back home to Winnipeg.
I was there (at the game, not on the bus). It was great fun.
With the great Andrew Toles leading off.
It would be wonderful if he could be helped with his life.
The Dodgers haven’t abandoned him, but I suspect his career is over.
I missed the error by Bryant. Can you someone please describe it for me?…And Winnipeg Dave, thanks for putting me at first base in your lineup. In that way I don’t have to cover much ground.
He butchered a routine fly ball.
Thanks. So we got a clutch three-run error as opposed to our failure to get clutch hits today.
As long as you can catch my bad throws from short!
I am finally getting my first pair of prescription sunglasses, so I should be ready day or night.
C’mon bullpen. Hold the line.
Generous home scoring in action…
Left Field is a bear today.
That was when Denver had a AAA team.
Thanks Kris Bryant.
I can’t believe what I just saw…
Dodgers need to strike back here to the tune of another 3 or so runs.
Need a crooked number for sure.
Light’em up Lux.
Still time to make a comeback. Let’s Go..
Get him out of there Dave. Put Price in and see what he’s got. Nothing to lose at this point.
This is not good.
This is a fine howdy-do!
15 of 36 correct on George Will’s Opening Day Quiz.
I got 17 (16 if you don’t count the bonus questions)
Luck (and skill?) all on Rockies’ side so far.
Getting hits. Need better sequencing.
Julio may need to eat more fries. Weight loss isn’t helping his velocity.
He could use a Happy Meal about now.
I’m surprised Belli didn’t score on Taylors double.
Dino stopped him.
Okay Gavin, bring them in!
Surprised Belli wasn’t sent.
Belli gets his first hit.
DPs are killing us.
Stop the bleeding Julio.
I am very dissatisfied with the wind at Coors Field today.
Julio at 24 pitches already.
Oh dear. Wind 2, Dodgers 0.
I’m ready for a better effort by the team today. Last night was ineptness on all fronts except the pitching. Pitching was good enough to win.
Pitching was unexpectedly good, as far as I am concerned. So good sign.
Yep. I was very satisfied with the pitching. Definitely a good sign.