Cardinals at Dodgers, 6:10 PM PDT, TV: Bally Sports Midwest, SPNLA
RHP Jack Flaherty (8-1, 2.84 ERA) takes the mound for the visiting Cardinals and RHP Trevor Bauer (5-3, 2.07 ERA) goes for the Dodgers.
On this day in Dodgers’ history:
- 1937 In Game 1 of a Memorial Day doubleheader, Carl Hubbell’s consecutive-game winning streak, compiled over two seasons, ends at 24 when the Dodgers, led by Babe Phelps’ 5-for-6 performance, defeat the Giants at the Polo Grounds, 10-3. ‘King Carl’ is honored between games when the southpaw is presented with the National League’s 1936 MVP Award by Babe Ruth.
- 1948 Tommy Lasorda, best known as the Dodgers’ Hall of Fame skipper, strikes out 25 batters and collects the game-winning hit when the Schenectady Blue Jays defeat the Amsterdam Rugmakers, 6-5, in 15 innings. The promising southpaw, who goes the distance in the CanAm minor-league contest played in McNearney Stadium, believes he probably threw more than 300 pitches during the game.
- 1965 For the first time in history, an all-switch-hitting infield starts a big league game. In the nightcap of a twin bill, the Dodgers, with Wes Parker at first base, Jim Lefebvre at second, Maury Wills at shortstop, and Jim Gilliam at third, lose to the visiting Reds, 6-1.
- 1968 Don Drysdale’s shutout streak stays intact when home plate umpire Harry Wendelstedt rules that Dick Dietz, who is hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the ninth inning, did not make an attempt to get out of the way of the right-hander’s delivery. The Giants catcher finishes the at-bat by popping up, and the next two batters also make outs to give ‘Big D” his fifth straight shutout, tying a major league established by White Sox hurler Doc White in 1904.
- 2001 The Red Sox finally beat the Yankees in their eighth attempt, and for the first time in over a year since Pedro Martinez scoffed at the ‘Curse’. The right-hander was 7-1 with a 1.44 ERA when he said, “Wake up the Bambino and let me face him — I’ll drill him in the “%#$,” but after the comment he managed only seven more winless starts, making it first time he did not win in seven straight starts since the first seven major league appearances as a rookie with the Dodgers.
- 2012 With their 6-2 victory, the Brewers beat LA at Chavez Ravine for the fourth consecutive day, making the Brew Crew the first visiting team to sweep a four-game series since the Rockies accomplished the feat in August, 1993. The victories also mark the first time the franchise has ever swept the Dodgers.
Lineup when available.
Tonight’s #Dodgers lineup vs. Cardinals: pic.twitter.com/QHqWGpQbGs
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) May 31, 2021
Good to get ArenaDO out.
Arendao would be the Portuguese version.
I’m making myself craaaazy.
Mookie again! RBI double !!!
According to Grant. https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1399567942807801863?s=20
Belli just can’t lay off those high fastballs. All three were balls in the same place.
Ugggh. It looked foul to me, but I guess not.
We needed a shut out inning, but it was not to be.
BATS need to wake up bigtime this inning. Go Dodgers! Go Mookie!
I am the only one here who cannot control my thumbs or my autocorrect to save my soul.
Mats is my Swedish cousin.
Okay, enough belly-aching from moi.
Edman has some fans in the stands: Tommy! Tommy!
I disagree with Joe and Orel. They slide late to get there sooner so their inertia carries them off the bag. Paying the price for that is fine by me
You think he’s safe? No way!
Huh? I think he is out and don’t think it is an abuse of replay to make those sorts of calls.
It read as if you disagreed with the result.
This is a tough stretch coming up. (Not that the Gnats were easy.)
Was Bauer sick coming into the game? He mentioned it tonight.
The Dodgers are a hard team to figure out.
Their motor runs so smoothly except when it stutters, coughs and almost dies. Lol
I’m almost afraid to be too encouraged by this game, but it felt more like last year’s team.
Happy birthday to Doc.
Really good game.
Fun from start to finish basically. Except for one half inning.
Mookie got on base four times!
That was the most encouraging part of the night.
Nice to have a no-drama ninth.
That was a great pitch, even though it was a ball.
Pleased to see Dodgers reach double figures in hits tonight.
Man, if we can get Mookie back, look out!
Hasta luego, Ponce de Leon.
Ponce de León might have youth, but it didn’t do him much good tonight.
Better future person!
Beaty was really waiting for a strike there! Wild swing.
Pitch in McKinstry’s eyes is a strike.
Makes me think Cody had to swing after all at those three high fast balls.
Zach doesn’t quite have his timing down yet.
CT 3 is en fuego.
Now for some Jimmy Reed.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqGgCCWjus
McKinstry makes a throw!
Held my breath.
Top of the lineup for Jones. Yikes.
Unusual call by Doc. Did something similar the other night with Jones, who was unlucky.
Orel with the explanation.
Which was? (I missed it.)
That he needs to develop another high leverage guy in the pen besides Victor, Blake and Kenley.
They fielded behind him this time.
Now the stress innings begin.
Close but no cigar, JT.
That woulda scored Mookie if Muncy had advanced him.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
Cat and mouse with Mookie.
Okay, JT. Do your thing.
Need to feast on the weak underbelly of their pen.
Poor situational hitting by Muncy there, though.
Ha! Max needed to situate the ball over the fence.
He needed to pull the ball on the ground at worst.
Pop ups are frustrating for all.
I’m fine with the Cards doing it.
I just ate an ice cream bar in honor of that CT3 gem of an at bat.
Should be one for each rbi, no?
I could… but I won’t.
I had a couple dark chocolate almond truffles.
Dog bless America
Hound that I love
Stand beside Him and guide Him
With the leash that descends from above.
Not very respectful.
Trust in Dog, and He will always be by your side.
Víctor wins the battle!
Don’t lose that loving feeling Dodgers.
Well, that was something else. So glad we all got to see that “together.”
Dodger’s were overdue for an inning like that.
I have fond memories of Alex Cora’s masterful at bat vs Matt Clement and the Cubs – “watching” it through the eyes of Gameday and the posters on Jon’s old site.
Epic at bat.
Somehow, I think Génesis will not be in the (score)book tomorrow.
? As in biblical?
He’s not likely to pitch again in tomorrow’s game.
I forgot Genesis was his first name.
CT3 unloads! (The bases)
That was Biblical!
That was unbelievable!
Spoiled the change up.
Spanish being spoken on the mound.
Okay CT3. Do your thing.
Okay Lux. Do your thing.
Bad at bat, sigh.
Very bad future person…
Very bad at bat.
Smith swung at ball four, sigh.
But gets the walk!
Good future person!
Swung at ball four.
Let’s get a run here please.
No, a bunch.
Let’s go Sluggo!
Here comes Cabrera, sigh… Go Cody go. This is your big opportunity!
Time for the squeeze? Pinch-hit with Barnes?
All right! Actual hits!
Where would we be without Max? Stand up double!
One of baseball’s best players.
Stand up guy!
So to speak…
Well, at least Mookie hit the ball with his bat.
Still in the doldrums, though.
Bye bye Flaherty.
They changed the scoring to an error – not that that’s any consolation.
We can’t hold leads.
We are a very frustrating team right now.
UGH!!!!! And that’s why you have to make those plays!!!!
A DP would be sweet.
I hate freebies for the other team.
Ruled a hit, but it’s not.
Another play Quique woulda made.
Come on, guys! Can’t be doing that sloppy defense in a 2-1 game!
Bah! I was just about to say I wish we had a few more runs. Not enough breathing room.
Bauer with contact!
I thought Bauer had a double there for a second.
Taylor won’t have to shave tomorrow.
73 pitches in four. So there’s that.
They seem to have 3 guys in the pen who are lights out, so the sooner we get there the better.
Reyes, Gallegos and Cabrera?
Belli still struggling at the plate.
Very bad future person (but I have confidence he’ll find himself).
I agree. I’m hoping he only needs one solid hit to remember what he can do and how to do it.
My “let’s go Belli” didn’t seem to help him. I really thought it would. 😉
Maybe you omitted the “up.”
…to the bar.
That’s my middle name.
Let’s go Belli! (Prescriptive not descriptive.)
That last catch by Bellinger recalls 1966 Willie Davis.
That was less than optimal. I usually count on JT to make contact.
Yeah. Didn’t go as planned for sure.
Too bad, but they are making him pitch.
That Flaherty slider is hard to lay off of, it seems.
Bauer: 37 pitches through 3. Flaherty: 36 pitches through 2. Good numbers.
The grim truth is that at the end of play today, with the season one-third over, the Giants will be in first place in the NL West. Overachieving? Perhaps. The question is whether we will be 2 or 3 games behind in third place.
Remember, the traditional June Swoon starts tomorrow.
It’d be more concerned if season was two-thirds over.
And down right devastated if it was three-thirds over.
But regardless, it is surprising!
I am surprised that we are still close after that dismal two weeks.
Then you will be shocked – because it was a three week stretch! 😉
Nice catch, Belli!
Wonder if it’s windy out there or whether Belli just had trouble getting a bead on it?
Bauer is staying alive.
Making Flaherty work a bit.
More like smack-to-smack!!
He knew it, too.
We need to be patient also for Belli bat to be back.
i.e., back, back, back!
What happened? I was opening a bottle of wine and missed it.
Grabbed one at the wall.
Just saw the replay. Fine catch, but not his best.
Bauer was appreciative.
Solid contact, but gno Gnatbloops.
How about a big first inning for the good guys.
Good wood, but no results yet.
Would you settle for a crooked number in inning number 2?
I would and I did!
Nice K Bauer!
How about a clean first inning for a change?
Nope. Sloppy error. Hopefully won’t hurt us, but definitely adding unneeded pitches.
I think the Dodgers missed Quique most for his defense.
And also for his enthusiasm and his versatility.
Nobody else will ever match his personality, but the Dodgers still have versatility, but not quite at his defensive skills level.
Pads lost but gnats are up 6-1, 8th inning.
Actually the Angles are down 6-1 but, anyway, tomorrow starts the June Swoon. It’s a Gnats tradition.
Cubs beat Puds!!
There is a lineup. https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1399486341352546304?s=20
I like this lineup.