Dodgers at Rangers, 11:35 AM PDT, TV: FSSW+, SPNLA
The Dodgers’ RHP Tony Gonsolin (0-0, 0.00 ERA) has been untouchable in his three spot starts and 14 2/3 innings. He’ll be called up from the taxi squad before today’s game. He’ll face RHP Kyle Gibson (1-3, 5.73 ERA), who’s in his first year with the Rangers after seven with the Twins. He last faced the Dodgers in April 2014. (I am stunned to find that MLB’s still got box scores from six years ago on its servers.)
Here’s Bellinger’s two-run HR in Saturday’s game:
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1918 At the Polo Grounds, the Giants beat the Dodgers, 1-0, on an unearned run in the bottom in the ninth in a contest that takes only fifty-six minutes to complete. Pete Compton’s base hit off Jack Combs plates Larry Doyle, who had singled to lead off the frame and moved to third on Ollie O’Mara’s errant throw on a sacrifice bunt.
- 1952 Nine-time All-Star infielder Arky Vaughan drowns with a friend when their boat capsized while fishing in a volcanic lake near Eagleville, CA. The former shortstop and third baseman, who compiled a .318 batting average and a .406 on-base percentage playing with the Pirates and Dodgers, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1985.
- 1966 Sandy Koufax, in his final decision facing the Mets, lasts only two innings, losing to Bob Friend at Shea Stadium, 10-4. The Dodgers Hall of Fame southpaw has compiled a 17-2 record against the lowly expansion team since their inception in 1962.
- 2000 Earning his 1,600th victory, Braves’ manager Bobby Cox passes former Dodger skipper Tommy Lasorda on the career list for most managerial victories. His 5-2 victory over the Reds puts him 14th on the all-time list.
- 2015 The NL’s eventual 2015 Cy Young Award recipient Jake Arrieta, needing just 116 pitches, beats Los Angeles, 2-0, tossing the 12th no-hitter ever thrown at the Chavez Ravine ballpark, and the 13th no-no in Cubs history. The contest marks the second time in ten games the Dodgers have been unable to get a hit; they were held hitless by Astros right-hander Mike Fiers on August 21.
Lineup when available.
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 30, 2020