Dodgers at Rockies, 5:15 PM PDT, TV: Fox
LHP Clayton Kershaw (7-1, 3.07 ERA) tries to hold the Rockies down in the third game of this four-game set while RHP Jon Gray (8-5, 3.92 ERA) attempts to do the same to the Dodgers. In his career Kershaw is 22-7 against the Rockies and 10-4 with a 4.57 ERA at Coors Field. Gray is 3-5 with a 4.98 ERA lifetime against the Dodgers, 2-1 at Coors Field.
There wasn’t much to cheer about in yesterday’s game, but here’s Muncy’s third homer in seven ABs in the series, which was also the longest HR any Dodger has hit this season at 464 feet:
Today in Dodgers’ history:
- 1923 Dodger first baseman Jacques Fournier goes 6-for 6, collecting a home run, two doubles, and three singles. The southpaw-swinging slugger’s 11 total bases contribute to Brooklyn’s 14-5 victory over the Phillies at the Baker Bowl.
- 1960 The Phillies strike out a dozen times in each end of a doubleheader when they are swept by the Dodgers at Connie Mack Stadium, 6-3 and 5-2. The 24 Ks tie a major league record for strikeouts in a twin bill.
- 1990 For the first time since 1917 (Hippo Vaughan and Fred Toney), two no-hitters are thrown on the same day when the A’s (and ex-Dodger) Dave Stewart shuts out the Jays 5-0 and the Dodgers’ Fernando Valenzuela blanks the Cardinals, 6-0.
- 2012 In the Diamondbacks’ 9-3 victory over Milwaukee at Miller Park, Aaron Hill becomes the first modern-era player to hit for the cycle twice in one season since Babe Herman accomplished the feat with the Brooklyn Robins in 1931. Eleven days ago in Seattle, the Arizona second baseman also collected a single, double, triple, and home run in the game.
- 2015 Joc Pederson becomes the third rookie in major league history to hit 20 home runs before July when he goes deep off Allen Webster in the Dodgers’ 10-6 loss to Arizona at Chase Field. The 23 year-old center fielder joins Wally Berger (Braves, 1930) and Albert Pujols (Cardinals, 2001) in accomplishing the feat as a freshman.
Lineup when available.
Tonight's Dodger lineup at Rockies:
Kershaw P#Dodgers | @Biofreeze pic.twitter.com/xITEHmRIn4
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) June 29, 2019
Yesterday was a Fox blackout. Today’s an ESPN blackout. Thanks, MLBTV!
NPUT @ 0700 HST, 1000 PDT, 1300 EDT
Bellinger can’t buy a hit/hr recently.
He did have an awkward swing hit earlier that bounced over first base
Missed it. I just remember the 2 long fly ball outs from yesterday – and his last ab.
The Giants’ team batting average this season is .224, the lowest in the majors.
Since their inception in 1883, their lowest team batting average at season’s end has been .233 in 1985.
And soon, they might trade their best hitter.
Who is that?
Ha! I was trying to figure out who that might be. Besides Bumgarner they don’t have many even half-decent hitters.
Was Báez really batting when we were only behind by 2?
Gameday fixed it just now
Kiké desperately needs the All-Star break.
Another nail-biter, but a bit different from the last two nights.
Partial Rule 8 violation: The Dodgers have 37 hits thus far in this series; neither Barnes nor Martin has one of them.
They have 1+ games to catch up
See what I did there and I did it twice
What’s the + mean?
Because it was an MLBTV blackout – thanks, Fox! – I didn’t get to watch a single pitch. https://twitter.com/Dodgers_UK/status/1145080605572575233?s=20
I couldn’t watch either. I just assumed it was because of living in Sawx land.
The Dodger game is on, though, with Joe Davis and somebody else I don’t recognize.
Colorado being Colorado again.
Origin story for The Famous Chicken (Ted Gianoullas).
The sooner we exit Colorado, the better.
My sentiment exactly.
Nonetheless, I don’t like it here. A couple of years ago I went to a series at this ballpark and the Dodgers lost two and the third was rained out. It was rescheduled after I had to fly back home, so I missed Toles’ game-winnilng grand slam.
Tole’s grand slam would have been a collectors item
Yes, when I got on the plane the Dodgers were losing by plenty; when I got off and checked my smart phone they had won.
It’s ground balls that are doing the damage
Kersh is pitching better than the score would indicate
The Dodgers have now made 10 errors in the last 4-plus games.
How many games are there in 4-plus games?
Half of today’s game is the plus. Four-and-a-half games.
Do the DP dance
That game in London looked more like cricket — 4+ hours, each team with six runs in the first inning — I wonder how the Commish and his team feel about it.
As long as they made money he’s happy.
Poor launch angle.
After two crazy games this one is feeling a bit more like normal baseball.
Those two got exported to London.
That was just ridiculous. 17-13 is “handegg” scoring.
AJ is doing color with Joe. Any guesses who AJ is?
Most hated Gnat (by Gnatfans).
Most hated White Sock (by Astros fans)
Most hated by former Giants trainer and later Dodgers trainer Stan Conte.
Low pitch count for Kersh.
Nice shot by Rios, but man, Desmond is a terrible fielder.
I don’t think he could do much about that carom.
Bad situational hitting by Bellinger there.
Who’s the guy sharing the booth with Joe Davis?
It’s AJ Piercynski (or however you spell it).
Edit:, z not c.
Well, I didn’t think we were going to shut them out.
That looked like a good pitch but I think Blackman was looking for it
Ump batting .500 on last two pitches
Prior to tonight’s game, figures for Barnes and Hernandez in June:
Austin: .143/.182/.238/.420 — 1 HR, 3 RBI
Kiké: .192/.247/.385/.632 — 4 HR, 13 RBI
Hey Ump! How many strikes does Clay need to throw to get the call?
One Colorado inning complete and only one run.
I just spent an hour watching the first inning of Yanks-Sox in London. Neither starter made it out of the first.
Joc flashes the glove
What Coors Craziness will today bring?
Do balls sail in London like they do in Colorado?
Apparently it was a small field…
With a ginormous amount of foul territory.
It was the high latitude.
There is a parallel there somewhere
There’s a start!