Mets at Dodgers, 4:35 PM PDT, TV: SPNLA, SNY
Zach Wheeler (9-7, 3.37 ERA) goes for the Metsies and Hyun-Jin Ryu (4-1, 2.24 ERA) goes for the Dodgers in this getaway game. Since June 21 Wheeler is 7-1 with a 1.83 ERA. Ryu has come back from the DL pretty strongly. In his last start he went seven innings, allowing just a two-run HR to Paul Goldschmidt, which is no disgrace.
On this date in Dodgers’ history:
- 1908 Superbas southpaw Nap Rucker strikes out 14 Doves en route to tossing a no-hitter in the team’s 6-0 victory over Boston at Washington Park. The only runners to get on base off the talented left-handed redhead come as a result of three Brooklyn errors.
- 1938 For the third time this season, Dodger catcher Babe Phelps breaks a bone in his throwing hand. Although the injuries will limit his playing time to only 66 games and 208 at-bats this season, the southpaw-swinging backstop will hit .308 and was named to the National League All-Star team, the first of three consecutive games he’ll play in the Mid-summer classic.
- 1955 In an 11-4 win over the Phillies, Dodger pitcher Don Newcombe hits his seventh homer, establishing a National League record for home runs by a pitcher in a season. The victory is Newk’s 20th of the season.
- 1978 On a night the Dodgers and Angels are scheduled to play at home on the same date, which is a rare occurrence, each team has their game rained out, another oddity in Los Angeles. The second time both clubs home contests will be washed out on the same day in the City of Angels will take place late in the season in 1986.
- 1998 Barry Bonds sets a new National League mark, reaching base in 15 consecutive plate appearances. The Giants outfielder’s five singles, two doubles, two homers, and six walks during the streak break Dodger Pedro Guerrero’s mark of 14 established in 1983.
Lineup when available.
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) September 5, 2018