Dodgers at Rays, 8:35 AM PDT, TV: Peacock (streaming)
The Dodgers give the ball to one of their rookies, RHP Gavin Stone (0-0, 10.13 ERA). As of midnight Saturday night the Rays had not named their starter.
- 1956 Going deep in the fourth inning off Carl Erskine in the team’s 3-2 victory over the Dodgers at Forbes Field, Pirates first baseman Dale Long establishes a major league record by hitting his eighth home run in eight games. Yankee first baseman Don Mattingly (1987) and Mariner outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. (1993) will also match the accomplishment.
- 1957 Walter O’Malley and Horace Stoneham are given permission by the National League to negotiate deals with cities on the West Coast, with the proviso that the future location of their respective clubs, the Dodgers and the Giants, be known by October 1. The Brooklyn and New York owners both deny there is any significance to the unanimous vote other than being given an opportunity to explore all the available options for their possible relocation of their clubs.
- 1969 The day after he becomes a father, Randy Hundley hits a grand slam and a double, driving in five runs in Chicago’s 9-8 victory over San Francisco at Candlestick Park. The eight-pound, four-ounce baby boy named Todd will follow in his dad’s footsteps, becoming a major league catcher, receiving for the Mets, Dodgers, and the Cubs.
- 1989 With runners on second and third, no outs, and the Mets and Dodgers tied at 3-3 in the 12th inning, home plate umpire Bob Davidson calls a balk against Roger McDowell which scores the winning run in the Chavez Ravine contest. Dave Anderson is waved home when the New York reliever fails to pause and make a discernible stop.
- 2001 In an 11-inning slugfest with Colorado, LA catcher Paul Lo Duca goes 6-for-6 in the team’s 11-10 victory at Dodger Stadium. The backstop’s five singles and a three-run homer tie a National League record for hits in an extra-inning game.
- 2011 The game between Los Angeles and Florida continues as fans in a section of the upper deck seats at Dodger Stadium are evacuated due to a small fire in a nearby storage area. With plumes of smoke visible coming from the top level of the ballpark on the first base side, the crowd is informed by the public address announcer that it will not be necessary to evacuate the entire stadium.
Lineups when available.
Today’s #Dodgers lineup at Rays: pic.twitter.com/OUq8CY91j4
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) May 28, 2023
Sunday morning showdown on @peacock #RaysUp pic.twitter.com/OCwfjh8t7X
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) May 28, 2023