Pirates at Dodgers, 7:10 PM PDT, TV: SPNLA, ATT SportsNet-PIT
The Pirates ask RHP Ivan Nova (4-5, 4.02) to stem the tide of Dodgers’ bats after last night’s swamping. He’s 2-0 with a 1.75 ERA over his four starts since he came off the DL. He’ll face the Dodgers’ LHP Clayton Kershaw (1-4, 2.84 ERA), who’ll be making his third start since coming off the DL himself. His last start on Thursday against the Cubs was very good; he went five innings, gave up four hits and struck out six. He then watched poor Walker Buehler throw a rehab stint at the major league level and get crushed as the bullpen gave up 9 runs and the Dodgers lost 11-5.
This date in Dodgers’ history:
- 1925 Milt Stock sets a National League mark by having his fourth consecutive four-hit game, going 16-for-23 during the span to compile a .696 batting average. The 31 year-old second baseman’s offensive output, which includes three singles and a triple, helps the Robins beat the Giants at Ebbets Field, 6-3.
- 1949 En route to a 16-0 shutout of the Dodgers at the Polo Grounds, starting pitcher Monte Kennedy hits a grand slam. Another 51 seasons will pass by before another Giants hurler hits a four-run homer when Shawn Estes accomplishes the feat in 2000.
- 1958 In their 35th home date in L.A., the transplanted Dodgers reach the one million mark in attendance. Last season, the team drew only 1,028,258 fans, playing in Brooklyn’s Ebbets Field.
- 2013 Yasiel Puig becomes the first player to be named Player of the Month for the first month he plays in the major leagues in the 55-year history of the award. The Dodger outfielder played in 26 games in June, compiling a .436 batting average, with his 44 base hits being the second-most ever by a first-month player, only behind Joe DiMaggio’s total of 48 in 1936.
Pirates at Dodgers, 7:10 PM PT, TV: SPNLA, ROOTPIT
RHP Ivan Nova (3-3, 2.14 ERA) will take the mound for the Pirates versus LHP Julio Urias (0-0, 0.84 ERA). Nova has gone six innings in each of his six starts this year, but his last time out he lost to the Reds when he allowed four runs on a season-high 10 hits. Urias will be making his third start of the year; he’s gone 10 2/3 innings and walked eight while striking out five.
Each pitcher has faced the other team once: Nova gave up one run in 5 1/3 innings to the Dodgers last August 12, while Urias threw 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief against the Pirates the following night.
This day in Dodgers history:
- 1947 After leading his team in verbally abusing Jackie Robinson with racial slurs during yesterday’s game at Shibe Park, Philadelphia manager Ben Chapman, who admits he had been ‘kinda loud’, sends word to the Brooklyn clubhouse that he would like to make amends by posing with the Dodger first baseman for the newspaper photographers. The orchestrated gesture, which Robinson agrees to, admitting later that is one of the hardest things he ever had to make himself do, is prompted by the bad press created by the Phillies manager’s intolerance and the wrath of Commissioner Chandler.
Bad news for André Ethier and the Dodgers:
Pirates at Dodgers, 7:10PM PT, TV: SPNLA, ROOTPIT
I’m beginning to think that Rich Hill is a phantom. His blisters preclude him from starting again today, so the Dodgers ask rookie RHP Ross Stripling (3-3, 3.79 ERA) to step in. He’ll face the Pirates’ Ivan Nova (8-6, 4.83 ERA), who will be making his second start for them after coming over from the Yankees at the trade deadline. His first one was successful: he went seven innings and gave up just three runs in a win over the Reds last Saturday.
Josh Reddick hasn’t gotten off to a great start with the Dodgers, but he’s 5-for-13 with two homers against Nova in his career.
Lineup when available: