Cardinals at Dodgers , 1:10 PM PDT, TV: BS Midwest, SPNLA
RHP Adam Wainwright (11-10, 3.38 ERA) goes for the Cardinals and RHP Michael Grove (0-0, 4.66 ERA) does so for the Dodgers. Wainwright and Kershaw each have 195 wins in their respective careers.
This day in Dodgers’ history:
- 1941 Combined with a Cardinal defeat, the Dodgers win their first pennant in 21 years when they beat Boston at Braves Field, 6-0. Whitlow Wyatt throws a five-hitter and Pete Reiser hits a homer in the winning cause.
- 1956 Dodger right-hander Sal Maglie no-hits the Phillies at Ebbets Field, 5-0. The ‘Barber’s’ gem helps second-place Brooklyn to keep pace in the pennant race with Milwaukee and Cincinnati.
- 1962 After appearing in 60 games over a two-year span, Dodger reliever Ed Roebuck suffers his first loss. The LA right-hander gives up a 10th inning home run to Houston’s Al Spangler, breaking the 2-2 deadlock at Chavez Ravine.
- 1974 In the first-of-its-kind operation, Dr. Frank Jobe transplants a tendon from Tommy John’s right wrist to the Dodger pitcher’s left elbow. The revolutionary ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, which will become a standard surgical procedure better known as Tommy John surgery, enables the southpaw to win an additional 164 games, more than half of his career total of 288 victories.
- 1996 Giants slugger Barry Bonds draws an intentional walk which gives him the National League record with 149 bases-on-balls in a season. The free pass is issued in the seventh inning by LA’s Mark Guthrie with two outs and a runner on third base in the team’s 7-5 loss at Dodger Stadium. (Note: Bonds wasn’t done. He now holds down the top three spots in Most Walks, Hitter, Season).
- 2008 The Diamondbacks, defending division champions, lose to St. Louis, 12-3, allowing the Dodgers to clinch the NL West. Los Angeles first-year skipper Joe Torre’s 13-year postseason streak continues, unlike the Yankees, his former team.
- 2020 Dusty Baker will become the first major league skipper to manage five different teams to the postseason as the Astros clinch a spot in the MLB’s expanded 16-team Fall Frenzy when the Dodgers beat the Angels. The three-time National League Manager of the year (1993, 1997, 2000) had previously won a playoff spot with the Giants (1997, 2000, 2002), Cubs (2003), Reds (2010, 2012, 2013), and Nationals (2016, 2017).
Lineups when available.
Yadi and Waino’s final regular season start as a battery at Dodger Stadium! pic.twitter.com/g6OPAjmKSL
— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) September 25, 2022
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) September 25, 2022